Re: Obsolete TODO item "-Wcast-align" ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obsolete TODO item "-Wcast-align" ?
Date: 2016-09-04 21:56:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I chose this item from the TODO page: "[E] Remove warnings created by
> -Wcast-align". It didn't have a check-mark after the "[E]", which I
> took to mean it's an outstanding issue.
> However, I'm starting to wonder if it's already been fixed:

No, but you only see it on some platforms/compilers. On my OS X laptop
(clang-based not gcc-based compiler), turning that on generates just a
hair short of 13000 warnings :-(

I think that TODO item is indeed obsolete, but more in the direction
of "we're never gonna do that". There are too many places where we
do need to cast up from generic pointer to specific structure pointer,
and there doesn't seem to be any practical way to tell a compiler which
instances are useful to warn about.