Re: postgres crashes - could not reattach to shared memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Sofer, Yuval" <Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres crashes - could not reattach to shared memory
Date: 2010-05-02 18:41:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On 5/2/10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> If we take seriously the proposition that we're still supporting 8.2
>> on Windows, we probably ought to do something about that. If we don't,
>> we need to officially deprecate that version.

> That's the last non-msvc++ version. Personally I'd love to drop it so
> i can get rid of mingw/msys and move entirely to vc++ for Win32 and
> Win64.

> I'm not so sure it's fair to the users though.

Well, we did promise that Windows 8.2 would have the same lifespan as
8.2 on other platforms:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.865

The planned EOL is only a year and a half away anyway. OTOH, if it's
doubling your effort to build Windows binary distributions, maybe
it's not worth continuing to support it.