Re: ECPG installcheck tests fail if PGDATABASE is set

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG installcheck tests fail if PGDATABASE is set
Date: 2018-03-18 23:06:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I got a bit confused running installcheck-world and seeing ecpg
> failures like:
> A bit of pondering pointed me towards my environment's
> PGDATABASE=postgres being to blame. Unsetting that makes the test
> succeed.

Hm ... pg_regress unsets PGDATABASE, along with the other related
environment variables, when it has a temp installation but not
when it doesn't. So what I don't understand is why your environment
doesn't also break every other regression test besides ecpg.
Perhaps they're all connecting to "postgres", but it's hard to
believe there wouldn't be conflicts if so.