Full-time Postgres DBA opening

From: Chirag Dave <chiragd(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full-time Postgres DBA opening
Date: 2011-09-09 20:05:27
Lists: pgsql-jobs

About You
You breathe databases. You calm their cranky jitters and and make them purr. You manage multiple clusters more efficiently than a preschool teacher herds kids. You keep things running even when the hardware falls to pieces. You can generate whatever report people desire, and you script everything you do to make sure it is repeatable. Although you work with a minimum of supervision and are happy to wield your independent judgement, you are a team player, and your innovative creativity leads to more elegant solutions overall, not to fancier new wheels.

You are excellent at communicating with people from all levels of the company, be it development, operations, sales, or management. You are happy to consult with stakeholders to make sure your database will help new projects succeed, not become their nemesis. You have extensive and in-depth knowledge of configuring and tuning databases, web servers, and application servers.

You are also OK with being part of an on-call rotation. This position does not involve front-line pager duty, but for critical database issues, you are ok with being available 24 hours a day when scheduled to be. Working under pressure isn't something you want to do every day, but you have no problems rising to the occasion when needed.

About Us
At Mozy, we store lots and lots of people's data. We do it with commodity hardware, open source, smart algorithms, and smart people. We are growing by leaps and bounds and we are poised to grow even faster. In Mozy's Technical Operations group, we are responsible for making sure things keep working. That means staying on top of capacity planning, dealing with day-to-day issues, and working hand in hand with engineering and QA on new releases. We demand the difficult, but not the impossible, and we provide you the resources you need to enjoy your job. That means deploying big toys when called for, giving you whatever laptop fits your inner fanboy heart, and paying for continual education.

We are operated by VMware (http://www.vmware.com ),a global company, but as a separate division, we are relatively nimble and do not treat our employees as single-function cogs. We have offices in Seattle (WA), Pleasant Grove (UT), Hopkinton (MA), Montreal, Cork and Shangai. Work from one of those fine locations, or, if you're a proven motivated superstar, working from home is also a possibility after some initial time in Seattle and/or Pleasant Grove. (Company paid, of course.)

Skills
- 8+ years DBA experience, 2+ recent years with PostgreSQL and related technologies like Slony/pgBouncer etc
- Solid understanding of RDBM concepts and normalization
- Solid understanding of what affects system performance
- Experience managing multiple database servers in a high-traffic, 24x7 environment
- Experience tuning complex SQL queries involving sub-selects, views, triggers, rules, and procedures
- Excellent communication, consulting, and presentation skills
- Comfort with the unix command line
- Source control

Brownie Points
- Linux server administration (double bonus for debian)
- Ruby on Rails
- Slony-I
- git (more points for gerrit)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or just send me your resume.

Chirag Dave
chiragd(at)vmware(dot)com