Re: Add pg_settings.pending_restart column

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add pg_settings.pending_restart column
Date: 2015-02-15 08:41:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut-2 wrote
> So here is a patch for that. It adds a column pending_restart to
> pg_settings that is true when the configuration file contains a changed
> setting that requires a restart. We already had the logic to detect
> such changes, for producing the log entry. I have also set it up so
> that if you change your mind and undo the setting and reload the server,
> the pending_restart flag is reset to false.

Doc typo: s/of/if/

Otherwise it seems fine but I cannot help but feel that false positives are
possible; though nothing that doesn't already exist. Mainly, is the change
going to end up only affect the reset or default value but not the currently
active value?

Instead of a boolean I'd rather have a string/enum that can capture the fact
that a reboot is required and the expected outcome. The same field can then
communicate non-reboot stuff too - like "SIGHUP required" or "session
scope".

A simple reboot required boolean api could just as easily be done via a
function; and why limit to just reboots and not reconnection or SIGHUP
required?

Scope creeping but the reboot case doesn't seem that special overall; other
than the effort needed to realize the updated value.

David J.