Re: Increase value of OUTER_VAR

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increase value of OUTER_VAR
Date: 2021-03-04 19:01:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just as a proof of concept, I tried the attached, and it passes
check-world. So if there's anyplace trying to stuff OUTER_VAR and
friends into bitmapsets, it's pretty far off the beaten track.

The main loose ends that'd have to be settled seem to be:

(1) What data type do we want Var.varno to be declared as? In the
but I'm not sure I agree. There's enough "int" for rangetable indexes
all over the place that it'd be a fool's errand to try to make it
uniformly something different.

(2) Does that datatype change need to propagate anywhere besides
what I touched here? I did not make any effort to search for
other places.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove-64k-rangetable-limit-wip.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB