Re: GiST support for UUIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Bandy <bandy(dot)chris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GiST support for UUIDs
Date: 2016-11-29 17:58:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Bandy <bandy(dot)chris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> [ btree_gist_uuid_8.patch ]

Um ... is there a reason why the penalty logic in gbt_uuid_penalty()
is completely unlike that for any other btree_gist module?

As best I can tell from the (admittedly documentation-free) code
elsewhere, the penalty ought to be proportional to the fraction
by which the original range is expanded; that's not what this
code is doing. It also seems to be missing the machinations related
to scaling per-column results in a multi-column index.

I'm kind of inclined to change uuid_parts_distance to just convert
a given pg_uuid_t to "double" and then apply penalty_num(), as is
done in gbt_macad_penalty.