Re: Trigger to convert UNIX time to timestamp without time zone.

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger to convert UNIX time to timestamp without time zone.
Date: 2014-06-08 18:15:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:

> Are you sure you want this without time zone?  In my experience,
> almost every time people think they want "without time zone" they
> actually don't.

+1

Basically, if you want to capture a moment in time, such as when
some event happened or some measurement was taken, you want
timestamp WITH time zone.  If you want to know what was (or will
be) showing on a clock in some particular time zone at a moment in
time, you want timestamp WITHOUT time zone.  The names tend to
mislead one on the semantics of these types.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com