Re: Optimizer issue -- bad query plan?

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimizer issue -- bad query plan?
Date: 2014-06-08 14:39:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Moshe Jacobson <moshe(at)neadwerx(dot)com> wrote:

> I can provide any other information you want, just let me know.

The best thing would be to show a *self-contained* test case --
that is, starting with an empty database create tables and (if
needed) the view and show a query which demonstrates the problem,
all in the form of a SQL script.  Perhaps you only need to or three
tables to demonstrate the effect; if you need more, that in itself
is a valuable clue.

If a developer can make the issue occur on their own machine, they
can investigate much more effectively than without that.  This is
especially true when something works as expected in a number tests
on a wide variety of environments; something must be different
about your environment, tables, or queries -- but what?  A self-
contained test will make that clear.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com