Re: meson documentation build open issues

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date: 2023-11-09 14:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.11.23 00:21, Andres Freund wrote:
> Example output:

This is very nice!

> $ ninja help
> [0/1 1 0%] Running external command help (wrapped by meson to set env)
> Code Targets:
> all Build everything other than documentation
> backend Build backend and related modules
> bin Build frontend binaries
> contrib Build contrib modules
> pl Build procedual languages

ok

> Documentation Targets:
> docs Build documentation in multi-page HTML format
> doc-html Build documentation in multi-page HTML format
> doc-man Build documentation in man page format
> doc/src/sgml/postgres-A4.pdf Build documentation in PDF format, with A4 pages
> doc/src/sgml/postgres-US.pdf Build documentation in PDF format, with US letter pages
> doc/src/sgml/postgres.html Build documentation in single-page HTML format
> alldocs Build documentation in all supported formats
>
> Installation Targets:
> install Install postgres, excluding documentation

This should probably read "Install everything other than documentation",
to mirror "all" above. (Otherwise one might think it installs just the
backend.)

> install-doc-html Install documentation in multi-page HTML format
> install-doc-man Install documentation in man page format
> install-docs Install documentation in multi-page HTML and man page formats

There is a mismatch between "docs" and "install-docs". (As was
previously discussed, I'm in the camp that "docs" should be html + man.)

> install-quiet Like "install", but installed files are not displayed
> install-world Install postgres, including multi-page HTML and man page documentation

Suggest "Install everything, including documentation" (matches "world").

> uninstall Remove installed files
>
> Other Targets:
> clean Remove all build products
> test Run all enabled tests (including contrib)
> world Build everything, including documentation

Shouldn't that be under "Code Targets"?