Re: meson documentation build open issues

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: meson documentation build open issues
Date: 2023-11-09 14:32:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.11.23 01:59, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I think we could build doc/src/sgml/postgres-full.xml by default. That
>> takes less than 0.5 seconds here and it's an intermediate target for html
>> and man.
> That does require the docbook dtd to be installed, afaict. I think we would
> need a configure test for that to be present if we want to build it by
> default, otherwise we'll cause errors on plenty systems that don't get them
> today. The docbook dts aren't a huge dependency, but still. Some OSs might
> not have a particularly install source for them, e.g. windows.

I was thinking we would do it only if the required tools are found.
Basically like

postgres_full_xml = custom_target('postgres-full.xml',
input: 'postgres.sgml',
output: 'postgres-full.xml',
depfile: 'postgres-full.xml.d',
command: [xmllint, '--nonet', '--noent', '--valid',
'--path', '@OUTDIR@', '-o', '@OUTPUT@', '@INPUT@'],
depends: doc_generated,
- build_by_default: false,
+ build_by_default: xmllint_bin.found(),
)

Besides giving you a quick validity check of the XML, this also builds
the doc_generated, which draw from non-doc source files, so this would
also serve to check that those are sound and didn't mess up the docs.

> I don't think that'd detect the missing ids?

Right, it wouldn't do that.