Re: table_privileges view under information_schema doesn't show privileges on materialized views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: table_privileges view under information_schema doesn't show privileges on materialized views
Date: 2018-08-24 15:36:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Currently, table_privileges view in information_schema.sql doesn't
> show privileges on materialized views for currently enabled roles. As
> per the documentation-[1], it should be showing the all privileges
> granted on tables and views (the documentation doesn't says it has to
> be normal view). Shouldn't we allow it to show privileges on
> materialized views as well.

The spec is quite clear that rows in table_privileges must correspond
to rows in information_schema.tables, but we don't show materialized
views there.

Perhaps there's a case for showing MVs in the "tables" view, and thence
also in table_privileges, but this patch by itself is flat wrong.

Anyway it seems to me we made that decision already; it's a bit late now
to be revisiting whether MVs should be treated as tables here.