Does Postgresql 7.1.x Still Have 8K Maximum Field Size?

From: philj80(at)netscape(dot)net (Philip)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does Postgresql 7.1.x Still Have 8K Maximum Field Size?
Date: 2001-09-15 10:57:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all.

I will be creating one of my first web applications and would like to use Postgresql as the database on a Red Hat 6.2 or 7.1 system with Apache and either ColdFusion or PHP.

Anyway, the application will have a text field where employees can update their progress on assigned tasks. By the time a task is completed, the field may exceed 8k. I am not a person who likes to compile from tarball's because training non-Linux experienced fellow system administrators to use RPMs is enough. Updates are easier as well.

The question: Is it possible to have a text field greater than 8k but only using RPMs -- not compiling and/or chaining via a separate table (breaking something into 8k chunks)? If so, how?

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop(at)Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/