Re: index on a box

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index on a box
Date: 2001-06-21 15:08:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net> writes:
> I was wondering, however, if there's a way I can use an index to
> avoid table scanning for this.

If you say "SET enable_seqscan TO off", and repeat the EXPLAIN, do you
get an indexscan plan?

I don't recommend doing such a SET for production purposes, but if this
works then the problem is just inaccurate selectivity/cost estimation.
I see that the on_pb operator has no selectivity estimator defined at
all :-( ... as a quick hack, try setting its oprrest and oprjoin to be
areasel and areajoinsel.