Re: pg_dump and thousands of schemas

From: "Hugo <Nabble>" <hugo(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and thousands of schemas
Date: 2012-05-27 04:12:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Here is a sample dump that takes a long time to be written by pg_dump:
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/file/n5710183/test.dump.tar.gz
test.dump.tar.gz
(the file above has 2.4Mb, the dump itself has 66Mb)

This database has 2,311 schemas similar to those in my production database.
All schemas are empty, but pg_dump still takes 3 hours to finish it on my
computer. So now you can imagine my production database with more than
20,000 schemas like that. Can you guys take a look and see if the code has
room for improvements? I generated this dump with postgresql 9.1 (which is
what I have on my local computer), but my production database uses
postgresql 9.0. So it would be great if improvements could be delivered to
version 9.0 as well.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Hugo