Re: all backends (pg7.2.3 / redhat 7.2) die due to unexpected signal 14 (SIGALRM)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Aufflick <mark(at)pumptheory(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: all backends (pg7.2.3 / redhat 7.2) die due to unexpected signal 14 (SIGALRM)
Date: 2003-01-28 15:41:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark Aufflick <mark(at)pumptheory(dot)com> writes:
> ok, so that's not it - i'm definitely not trapping SIGALRM (and btw,
> this was only in the perl client code, which I don;t see how that could
> cause the problem anyway - as opposed to in the plperlu function, which
> in any case I am pretty sure was not being called when the server
> crashed)

It wouldn't have to be executing when the crash occurred. If it had
executed at some prior time, and reset the handling of signal 14 at that
time, then you'd get this failure:

> DEBUG: server process (pid 20704) was terminated by signal 14

whenever the backend process would next have reached a lock timeout.

I have not dug through the Perl sources to look for mucking with
SIGALRM, but I bet that's what the problem is.