Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, PostgreSQL Developers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Date: 1999-11-29 08:10:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru> writes:
> So, no more nerves needed, Tom, yeh? -:)
> It would be nice if someone else, not me, implement this...

Um, I've got more than enough on my plate already...

>> Can we make some sort of usually-correct-but-not-guaranteed-correct
>> dump that shows which corresponds to what? Maybe something similar
>> to the textfile dump of pg_shadow that the postmaster uses for password
>> authentication? Then at least you'd have some shot at figuring out
>> which file was what in extremis...

> As it was proposed - utility to create dir with database name
> (in addition to dir with database oid where data really live)
> and symlinks there: table_name --> ../db_oid/table_oid

I saw your message about that after sending mine. Yes, that'd be
a cool way of displaying the relationship. But the main thing to
remember is that it'd only be correct at steady-state when nothing
is being changed. If we tried to guarantee the mapping was correct
100% of the time, we'd be back to square one. Of course, that
makes the whole thing somewhat less useful for debugging purposes,
since Murphy's Law says that the times you really need to know
what's what are just when the system crashed in the middle of
a table rename ;-)

regards, tom lane