Re: Syntax got translated

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syntax got translated
Date: 2012-02-20 17:15:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Susanne Ebrecht's message of sáb feb 18 18:11:54 -0300 2012:

> Output in German:
> i | integer | not null Vorgabewert nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>
> Output in French:
> i | integer | non NULL Par défaut, nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>
> Output in Spanish:
> i | integer | not null valor por omisión nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)
>
> I think that the constraint keyword "DEFAULT" should not be translated here.
> In my eyes in all cases it should output:
>
> i | integer | not null default nextval('t_i_seq'::regclass)

I'm not clear on this. I translated it because it seemed sensible, but
I remember stopping for a minute to consider it. Maybe if more people
thinks it should not be translated, we could remove the translatability
marker from DEFAULT and other stuff like NOT NULL. I'mnot sure
however. Just removing the translations from the existing catalogs is
not enough, because future versions will just put them back.