Re: pg_multixact/members growing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tiffany Thang <tiffanythang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Forums postgresql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_multixact/members growing
Date: 2018-05-23 22:16:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Tiffany Thang <tiffanythang(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Where do I find pg_controldata? I could not locate it on the file system.

Hmm, should be one of the installed PG executables.

> pg_clog/ or pg_subtrans/ or pg_multixact/offsets/ are getting larger too
> but by only a few hundreds MBs.

This is consistent with the idea that something is holding back the
oldest-transaction horizon. (However, I'd think you'd also be having
serious problems with table bloat if that were true, so it's a bit
mystifying.) Did you check for unclosed prepared transactions?

select * from pg_prepared_xacts;