Re: CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER in SQL pane (pgAdmin 1.14.1)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER in SQL pane (pgAdmin 1.14.1)
Date: 2011-12-19 09:50:44
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 15:39 +0200, Julius Tuskenis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After installing pgAdmin 1.14.1 I have noticed that CREATE CONSTRAINT
> TRIGGER statements are shown in SQL pane when selecting table from
> treeview. Is this done on purpose?
> Frankly, I find no real use of statements like:
> CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER "RI_ConstraintTrigger_73501293"
> AFTER DELETE
> ON b_dok
> FOR EACH ROW
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE "RI_FKey_cascade_del"();
>
> I think the constraint triggers should not be shown (at least by
> default). They might be a good thing for debugging but not for
> administrating the DB. I support the opinion stated in
> http://www.pgadmin.org/support/faq.php :
>
> "
> <...>
> pgAdmin III considers constraint triggers as an internal implementation
> detail, not interesting for the common administrator. In fact, CREATE
> CONSTRAINT TRIGGER is for backward compatibility only, and shouldn't be
> used in newer scripts any more. Some tools (e.g. pgAdmin II) imply this,
> by showing a ADD CONSTRAINT when reverse engineering, while actually the
> constraint information in the database is missing.
> Run the adddepend script, which can be found in the backend's sources
> contrib/adddepend directory. [AP]"
>
> I'd be glad if they disappeared from the SQL pane.
>
> pgAdmin 1.14.1
> WinXp SP3
> PostgreSQL 8.3.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Gentoo
> 4.3.2-r3 p1.6, pie-10.1.5) 4.3.2

System constraints triggers shouldn't appear at all if you didn't select
the "Show system objects". They never should appear in the SQL pane of a
table description for example.

User constraints triggers should always appear.

The fact that system constraint triggers appear wasn't done on purpose.
As a matter of fact, this is a bug.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info