disable prompting by default in createuser

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: disable prompting by default in createuser
Date: 2011-11-25 23:28:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I propose that we change createuser so that it does not prompt for
anything by default. We can arrange options so that you can get prompts
for whatever is missing, but by default, a call to createuser should
just run CREATE USER with default options. The fact that createuser
issues prompts is always annoying when you create setup scripts, because
you have to be careful to specify all the necessary options, and they
are inconsistent and different between versions (although the last
change about that was a long time ago), and the whole behavior seems
contrary to the behavior of all other utilities. I don't think there'd
be a real loss by not prompting by default; after all, we don't really
want to encourage users to create more superusers, do we? Comments?