separate initdb -A options for local and host

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: separate initdb -A options for local and host
Date: 2011-11-25 23:20:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think it would be useful to have separate initdb -A options for local
and host entries. In 9.1, we went out of our way to separate the "peer"
and "ident" methods, but we have moved the confusion into the initdb -A
option, where "ident" sometimes means "peer", and "peer" sometimes means
"ident". Moreover, having separate options would allow what I think
would be a far more common use case, namely having local "peer" and host
something other than "ident", such as "md5".

I'm thinking, we could keep the existing -A option, but add long options
such as --auth-local and --auth-host, to specify more detail.