Re: type privileges and default privileges

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: type privileges and default privileges
Date: 2011-11-10 20:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2011-11-09 at 00:21 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Let me put this differently. Should we either continue to hardcode the
> > default privileges in the acldefault() function, or should we instead
> > initialize the system catalogs with an entry in pg_default_acl as though
> > ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES GRANT USAGE ON TYPES TO PUBLIC; had been
> > executed?
>
> If you're proposing to replace acldefault() with a catalog lookup,
> I vote no. I think that's a performance hit with little redeeming
> social value.

No, I'm pondering having pg_default_acl initialized so that newly
created types have explicit USAGE privileges in their typacl column, so
acldefault() wouldn't be needed. (And builtin types would have their
typacl initialized analogously.) I suppose this is how we might have
done it if we had invented ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES first.