Re: pl/python custom datatype parsers

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/python custom datatype parsers
Date: 2011-11-10 20:13:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2011-11-08 at 16:08 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 11:50 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On fre, 2011-02-11 at 16:49 +0100, Jan Urbański wrote:
> >> I believe it's (b). But as we don't have time for that discussion that
> >> late in the release cycle, I think we need to consider it identical to (c).
> > As I previously mentioned, I think that there should be an SQL-level way
> > to tie together languages and types. I previously mentioned the
> > SQL-standard command CREATE TRANSFORM as a possibility. I've had this
> > on my PL/Python TOTHINK list for a while. Thankfully you removed all
> > the items ahead of this one, so I'll think of something to do in 9.2.
> >
> > Of course we'll be able to use the actual transform code that you
> > already wrote.
> >

> Peter,
>
> Did you make any progress on this?

No, but it's still somewhere on my list. I saw your blog post related
to this.

I think the first step would be to set up some catalog infrastructure
(without DDL commands and all that overhead), and try to adapt the big
"case" statement of an existing language to that, and then check whether
that works, performance, etc.

Some other concerns of the top of my head:

- Arrays: Would probably not by handled by that. So this would not be
able to handle, for example, switching the array handling behavior in
PL/Perl to ancient compatible mode.

- Range types: no idea

I might work on this, but not before December, would be my guess.