Re: Bug, New Column... window, data type typing

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug, New Column... window, data type typing
Date: 2011-11-03 08:27:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 09:17 +0200, Julius Tuskenis wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> On 2011.11.02 23:28, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 12:39 -0400, Henry Drexler wrote:
> >> Issue
> >> -------------------
> >> For this new version (1.14) navigate to a table> right click on table>
> >> properties> go to tab 'columns'> add> place cursor in 'data type' In
> >> this version of pgadmin I am no longer able to type in there, I have to use
> >> the drop down menu.
> > This isn't a bug, this is something we wanted. The
> > "type-in-the-type-combobox" was buggy, so we fixed the issue by making
> > the list a read only one.
>
> Well, I have pgAdmin 1.14.0 (Sep 12 2011, vev: REL-1_14_0) on windows
> and I am able typing in type combobox. Is the feature removed from linux
> version only?

Yes. The auto-completion functionality does not behave as expected on
linux with GTK. That's why we disabled editing combo-box on GTK only. I
know that disabling it makes our lives harder. But enabling it just
makes it worse.

> Are there more parts of the application that work
> differently on different OS'es ?

Probably. wxWidgets is a toolkit that allows us to make pgAdmin
available on many platforms. But of course, when a widget is not
available in one platform, it creates it from scratch, which may result
in different behaviours. We try to avoid them as possible, and maybe
sometime we don't use wxWidgets in the best possible way, but I'm sure
you can find differences between platforms.

> I'm sure Mr. Guillaume Lelarge will agree that fixing buggy feature by
> removing it (the feature) is easy but not necessary right way to solve
> the problem. Would you please provide some details of what was wrong
> with it?

Oh, yes, I agree. Would be stupid if I didn't. All I can tell you is go
see the wxWidgets guys and tell them to release a fix for that in 2.8.
Good luck with that.

On the details, if we enable the editable field in the combobox, when
you'll written some of the type for your column, it will try to
autocomplete it. But its way to autocomplete it will make it select
another part of the type which you'll erase while typing further, making
your whole typing session a complete mess.

> Maybe someone familiar with the problem could suggest a
> solution or even fix it then...

If there was someone like that (and with time to do it), it would
already be fixed.

BTW, going to wxWidgets 2.9 will probably solve the issue. But, AFAIUI,
we are not really near having complete 2.9 support. Moreover, I don't
know one Linux distribution that offers wxWidgets 2.9.

Something probably easier to do is to allow typing while disabling the
autocomplete feature. I'm not sure at all it's doable, but we should
try. Anyone who has the time to work on it, go ahead :)

> I've tried using combobox without typing
> - it's a pain...

I know that. And I'm sorry. But right now, I don't know how to do best.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info