Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function
Date: 2016-03-10 15:26:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
>> I choose to allow the log collector to write his current log file name
>> into the lock file 'postmaster.pid'.

> Gosh, why? Piggybacking this on a file written for a specific purpose
> by a different process seems like making life very hard for yourself,
> and almost certainly a recipe for bugs.

That's a *complete* nonstarter. postmaster.pid has to be written by the
postmaster process and nobody else.

It's a particularly bad choice for the syslogger, which will exist
fractionally longer than the postmaster, and thus might be trying to write
into the file after the postmaster has removed it.