Re: pl/python custom datatype parsers

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/python custom datatype parsers
Date: 2011-03-01 16:50:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2011-02-11 at 16:49 +0100, Jan Urbański wrote:
> I believe it's (b). But as we don't have time for that discussion that
> late in the release cycle, I think we need to consider it identical to (c).

As I previously mentioned, I think that there should be an SQL-level way
to tie together languages and types. I previously mentioned the
SQL-standard command CREATE TRANSFORM as a possibility. I've had this
on my PL/Python TOTHINK list for a while. Thankfully you removed all
the items ahead of this one, so I'll think of something to do in 9.2.

Of course we'll be able to use the actual transform code that you
already wrote.