Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)debian(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, jd <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-11 19:49:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of vie feb 11 14:51:17 -0300 2011:

> So where are we at?
>
> -GNU libreadine is certainly never going to add an OpenSSL exemption
> -If the OpenSSL project was going to switch to a reasonable license,
> they'd have done it years ago
> -There are many known and serious bugs/limitations in libedit relative
> to libreadline
> -Adding GnuTLS support to PostgreSQL would require solving several code
> quality issues

Why do we have to involve the whole of PostgreSQL? Since the only piece
that links to libreadline is psql, perhaps we could fix this by having
only psql optionally use GnuTLS. (I don't know if you can make an
OpenSSL server talk to a GnuTLS client -- are these things supposed to
be interoperable?)