Re: wierd error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Travis Hoyt" <thoyt(at)npc(dot)net>
Cc: "Postgres" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: wierd error
Date: 2002-03-07 18:56:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Travis Hoyt" <thoyt(at)npc(dot)net> writes:
> select * from mydata where to_char(time, 'SS') != '00';
> server sent data ("D" message) without prior row description ("T" message)
> server sent data ("D" message) without prior row description ("T" message)

> Anyone know what this means? I can do a select count(*) on this and it
> comes back with a value, approx 460k rows.

You're running out of memory for the results on the client side.
libpq is not very graceful about coping with that situation :-(
--- it doesn't crash, but it does forget that it was absorbing
a query result, so then you get all these bogus error messages.
Fixing this is on our TODO list, but it hasn't been very high
priority because in practice you want to avoid such situations in
the first place.

I'd suggest using a cursor to retrieve the huge result a few hundred
rows at a time.