Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 16:35:01
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 12:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2010-06/msg00040.php
>
> Things like broken links, an RPM page labeled 9.0 when it was for all PG
> versions, and 8.4 labeled as "New release. Test before you upgrade".
> How much more specific do you want? Care to respond to _any_ of those
> other issues?

Sure, I will respond in kind to each that you provide, answers provided
inline.

Bruce stated:

Then, once there, you see:

Letter P

Packages beginning with letter "P".

* pgdg-centos - PostgreSQL 9.0.X PGDG RPMs for CentOS - Yum Repository Configuration
* pgdg-fedora - PostgreSQL 9.0.X PGDG RPMs for Fedora - Yum Repository Configuration
* pgdg-redhat - PostgreSQL 9.0.X PGDG RPMs for RHEL - Yum Repository Configuration

What kind of title is "Letter P"? And all these downloads are marked as
9.0.X.

JD: This is how YUM does it. I told you this.

Back on the Yum download page there is a "Direct Download" section,
which points to:

https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki/Direct_download

which shows:

8.4 - New release. Test before you upgrade.

Which obviously is inaccurate because 8.4 has been out for many months now.

JD: Which is completely accurate. 8.4 is the new release and you should
test before you upgrade.

JD: Anything else you would like to bring up based on your "poor
experience"?

JD Disclaimer: I just made some changes to the wiki pages to reflect the
EOL status of 7.4/8.0/8.1. I also made a separate page for configuring
Yum since it appears part of the complaints is that it isn't newbie
friendly enough.

I may not always respond to emails that aren't on the top of my radar.
Others have realized that there are much better ways to get a hold of
me. Like private messaging on IRC (which you have done with better
results than email) or for goodness sake, calling me.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor