Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 15:56:32
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:42 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I've certainly had reports from actual download users, and passed
> > those along. I think I've done it in private email to JD, so I'm just
> > confirming here that yes, we've seen those complaints from actual
> > users.
>
> OK, so that means Command Prompt is not willing to correct problem
> reports in a reasonable amount of time. I guess we, as a community,
> either have to accept that or find another RPM/YUM supplier.

Bruce if would mind keeping a grain of truth in what is actually going
on I would appreciate it. CMD has gone to great lengths, extreme lengths
to address every single concern that has come across the table on the
pgsqlrpms site.

The main problem here is you are ignorant of how RPM/YUM works. Which is
why you say things like, "What kind of letter is P".

When we get reports, we address them, directly. If you have specific and
constructive feedback to provide, that can create a better user
experience, I am all ears.

When Dave or Magnus have had specific illustration of how we can make it
better we have made strives to do so.

I admit I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who don't understand
how to install an RPM and type yum install. If you can give us some
bullet points where you feel it would be more useful for the user, I
would be happy to adjust the wiki page so its easier for users.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor