Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Juan Casero \(FL FLC\)" <Juan(dot)Casero(at)wholefoods(dot)com>, "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date: 2006-04-05 22:24:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Juan,
>> When I hit
>> this pgsql on this laptop with a large query I can see the load spike up
>> really high on both of my virtual processors. Whatever, pgsql is doing
>> it looks like both cpu's are being used indepently.

> Nope, sorry, you're being decieved. Postgres is strictly one process, one
> query.

This is not strictly true: we have for instance pushed off some work
into a "background writer" process, and even just having both a client
and a server process active allows some small amount of parallelism.
But you're certainly not going to see effective use of more than about
two CPUs on a single query stream ... at least not without Bizgres or
some other add-on.