default_language

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: default_language
Date: 2010-01-24 20:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Why do we have a parameter called "default_do_language" when we don't
have a parameter called "default_language"?

This is remarkably inconsistent. Why the difference? 5 years from now,
whatever reason we had will seem just strange.

Please can we have "default_language"? Or "language_path" so we can tell
CREATE FUNCTION to try the languages in order? Or better still, try all
the installed languages that the user has rights to in alphabetic
order?

(The latter behaviour would be backpatchable to allow code to be more
portable across releases, but "backpatch" may be a Treadstone trigger
word).

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com