Re: Time Zone design issues

From: novnov <novnovice(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time Zone design issues
Date: 2007-09-10 15:34:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, but there are still some parts of this I don't understand. From the
application user's perspective, the datetime a record was last updated needs
to be presented in their local time, in the browser. I have never been
intimate with web apps that accomodate user profile time settings, but have
used many. They let you set your local timezone. Else the app presents UTC.
So, something internal to that app (joomla, drupal etc) must be optionally
adjusting datetimes presented to the users. That's what I was suggesting; I
think your reqly and the one prior to it suggest that these things are
somehow 'handled'. Tom Lane seemed to point to a param to use with tz and
I'm trying to figure that out.

As far as I can see, my original premis is correct, that I need to tweak the
stored datetime when returned for viewing in a browser to adjust for any
user's tz setting...I'd be wrong if browsers automatically adjust any
datetime for the requesting pc's tz setting. I don't think they do, else why
would web apps like joomla and drupal adjust the datetime presented to the
end user according to whatever they set at their tz?

Your explanation of now() and localtime() is good...but localtime() to
postgres acting as a web app db, wouldn't it just return the local time as
far as the server is concerned?