Re: Syntax for partitioning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax for partitioning
Date: 2009-11-17 21:31:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 11:15 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:

> I think syntax support is a good start.

I don't see a syntax-only patch as being any use at all to this
community.

We go to enormous lengths in other areas to never allow patches with
restrictions. Why would we allow a patch that is essentially 100%
restriction? i.e. It does nothing at all. Worse than that, it will
encourage people to believe it exists in full, when that isn't the case.

The syntax has never really been in question, so it doesn't really move
us forwards in any direction. This is exactly the kind of shallow
feature we have always shied away from and that other databases have
encouraged.

The only reason I can see is that it allows people to develop non-open
source code that matches how Postgres will work when we get our act
together. That seems likely to discourage, rather than encourage the
funding of this work for open source. It may even muddy the water for
people that don't understand that the real magic happens in the
internals, not in the syntax.

Why not just wait until we have a whole patch and then apply?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com