Re: A wrong comment about search_indexed_tlist_for_var

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A wrong comment about search_indexed_tlist_for_var
Date: 2023-12-01 18:27:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-Dec-01, Richard Guo wrote:
>> However, this cross-check will also be performed in non-debug builds
>> ever since commit 867be9c07, which converts this check from Asserts to
>> test-and-elog. The commit message there also says:
>> Committed separately with the idea that eventually we'll revert
>> this. It might be awhile though.
>> I wonder if now is the time to revert it, since there have been no
>> related bugs reported for quite a while.

> I don't know anything about this, but maybe it would be better to let
> these elogs there for longer, so that users have time to upgrade and
> test.

Yeah. It's good that we've not had field reports against 16.0 or 16.1,
but we can't really expect that 16.x has seen widespread adoption yet.
I do think we should revert this eventually, but I'd wait perhaps
another year.

> OTOH keeping the elog there might impact performance. Would that be
> significant?

Doubt it'd be anything measurable, in comparison to all the other
stuff the planner does.