Re: When was a Function Added?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Paul Nickerson <Paul_Nickerson(at)umit(dot)maine(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When was a Function Added?
Date: 2009-10-31 16:39:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 16:06 -0400, Paul Nickerson wrote:
> When was the ECPG function PGTYPEStimestamp_add_interval added to
> ECPG? My school has a server for student assignments and
> demonstrations with SunOS 5.9, PostgreSQL 7.4.8, ECPG 3.1.1, and GCC
> 3.4.6. In the documentation linked below, I can see that
> that function goes back as far as PostgreSQL 8.2. Is it in version 7.4.8?

If it's not documented before that time, it probably doesn't exist.

> I may ask the server administrator if he can upgrade PostgreSQL or
> ECPG. Where can I find out what that might break? Would it not be
> backwards compatible with some programs written to compile under the
> older version of PostgreSQL and ECPG?

Look at the release notes:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html

That is a big jump in versions, so a lot of things can happen.

If you have an account on the machine in question, you can install
postgresql there yourself as your own user. That way it won't disrupt
other users of the machine.

Regards,
Jeff Davis