Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-25 09:08:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On lör, 2009-10-24 at 13:32 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Regardless, the UI I was hoping for was to make the default
> postgresql.conf file end with a line like this:
>
> directory 'conf'

I think something like is this is definitely more understandable for
users and less overkill in the implementation.

As a file point, I would prefer something like

include 'whatever/*.conf'

that is, listing the files as a glob pattern instead of naming a
directory. Because packaging tools, editors, etc. will leave backup and
temporary files lying around that you don't want to include, and we
don't want to get involved into knowing all the naming patterns that
people might want to use for those.

Actually,

include 'postgresql.conf.d/*.conf'

sounds nice as a default.