Re: a verbose option for autovacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tommy Li <tommy(at)coffeemeetsbagel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a verbose option for autovacuum
Date: 2021-01-22 22:33:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tommy Li <tommy(at)coffeemeetsbagel(dot)com> writes:
> I was surprised to see that there's no way to get `VACUUM VERBOSE`-like
> output from autovacuum. Is there any interest in enabling this?

Seems like that would very soon feel like log spam. What would be the
use case for having this on? If you want one-off results you could
run VACUUM manually.

> Additionally, is there any interest in exposing more vacuum options to be
> run by autovac? Right now it runs FREEZE and ANALYZE, which leaves the
> VERBOSE, SKIP_LOCKED, INDEX_CLEANUP, and TRUNCATE unconfigurable.

To the extent that any of these make sense in autovacuum, I'd say they
ought to be managed automatically. I don't see a strong argument for
users configuring this. (See also nearby thread about allowing index
AMs to control some of this.)