Re: shared memory leak in 7.0.2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pierre(at)kahuna(dot)versions(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared memory leak in 7.0.2?
Date: 2000-08-28 14:04:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

pierre(at)kahuna(dot)versions(dot)com writes:
> i've been running 7.0.2 for the last month or so, and I've had to
> reboot my redhat linux box twice to clear up a shared memory leak
> issue. Essentially with the DB running for about 2weeks with large
> amounts of usage, eventually the Os runs out of shared memory and the
> db crashes and fails to restart. The only way to get the db back
> online is to reboot.

I haven't seen this reported before. Are you sure Postgres deserves
the blame, rather than some other package? Postgres' use of shared
memory is fixed for the life of a postmaster, so unless you're
constantly restarting the postmaster I don't see how we could be leaking
shmem.

However, rather than speculate, let's get some hard facts. Try using
"ipcs -m -a" to keep track of shared mem allocations, and see what usage
is creeping up over time.