Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-10 13:31:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 08:50 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Devrim GNDZ wrote:
> > I could not understand which problem are you trying to *actually* solve.
> >
> > EDB is spending bucks for the installers (they have a core member for
> > maintaining it, if nothing). I have no problem with downloading an
> > installer which is linked from main page, since I know that I can trust
> > any link which is in pg.org.
> >
> > Also, as mentioned before by people in this thread, if we are going to
> > remove all external links, then you will only have Solaris binaries,
> > very limited number of RPMs and source code, which are hosted at our ftp
> > site.

So two companies that support PostgreSQL are refusing to supply
installation files without this link? An interesting definition of
support.

Surely we can remove the links and ask for the files also. If everybody
plays to the same rules, all is good, no?

> Funny thing is those Solaris binaries might soon be produced by Oracle. ;-)

What would happen if Sun demanded this boon also, and then the link to a
page that contained an advert for pay-for closed source software (I
would guess it would be Oracle-compatible software...). Would that be
OK? IBM and Microsoft, take note also, if you're listening.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com