Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "Christian Fowler" <spider(at)viovio(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin list" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: evil characters #bfef cause dump failure
Date: 2004-11-16 01:34:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> It seems that this kind of thing pops up from time to time. I don't have v8
> available right now to check, but is SQL_ASCII still the default DB
> encoding? I'm wondering is unicode wouldn't be a better choice these days.

IIRC you can select the default encoding at build time, so this is
really a question for packagers not the development team.

You make a good point though --- I'm a bit tempted to make it default to
UNICODE for the Red Hat build, since Red Hat is pretty gung-ho on UTF8
support these days.

BTW, SQL_ASCII is not so much an encoding as the absence of any encoding
choice; it just passes 8-bit data with no interpretation. So it's not
*that* unreasonable a default. You can store UTF8 data in it without
any problem, you just won't have the niceties like detection of bad
character sequences.