Re: Welcome to the pgsql-bugs list!

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christine Penner <christine(at)ingenioussoftware(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Welcome to the pgsql-bugs list!
Date: 2009-04-28 20:09:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 12:59 -0700, Christine Penner wrote:
> After looking closer at the log file I found something interesting:

> This backup included the table creating aswell. How can it not have a
> column in the table. Am I wrong to assume that when I restore over an
> existing database it will delete things first? It looks like it doesn't.

No it will not delete things first. I think that would be a serious
design flaw if it did so.

> I'm going to guess that's the problem. I know we have had at least
> one crash loading an empty database but I will have to look at that
> when it happens again.
>
> How are backups and restore's usually done? I'm guessing not through
> pgAdmin. Also is there away to tell it to drop a table before it
> tries to create it?

You can pass flags that will do various things such as that.. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-pgdump.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-pgrestore.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Christine
>
> At 09:08 AM 22/04/2009, you wrote:
> >
> >Welcome to the pgsql-bugs mailing list!
> >Your password at postgresql.org is
> >
> >Y83ezg
> >
> >To leave this mailing list, send the following command in the body
> >of a message to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org:
> >
> >approve Y83ezg unsubscribe pgsql-bugs christine(at)ingenioussoftware(dot)com
> >
> >This command will work even if your address changes. For that reason,
> >among others, it is important that you keep a copy of this message.

> > pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
> >
> >If you need help or have questions about the mailing list, please
> >contact the people who manage the list by sending a message to
> > pgsql-bugs-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> >
> >You can manage your subscription by visiting the following WWW location:
> >
> ><http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr/domain=postgresql.org/christine%40ingenioussoftware.com>

> > Put the text of the welcome message here.

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997