Re: Yet another fast GiST build

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Darafei Komяpa Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Yet another fast GiST build
Date: 2020-09-11 06:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 10 сент. 2020 г., в 17:43, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> написал(а):
>
> One more patch version attached. I fixed some memory leaks, and fixed the abbreviation on 32-bit systems, and a bunch of small comment changes and such.
>
> - Heikki
> <v18-0001-Add-support-for-building-GiST-index-by-sorting.patch>

The patch looks fine to me. On my machine GiST for points is builded 10x faster than before the patch.

Future action items:
1. Sort support for gist_btree data types
2. Better page borders with split and fillfactor
3. Consider sort build for tsvector

I'll certainly do 1 before next CF and most probably 2.
Item 1 is basically a lot of similar code for many many different types.
In Item 2 I plan to use Oleg's gevel to evaluation possibilities of MBR overlap reduction.

Item 3 seems tricky and need deeper evaluation: chances are sort build will decrease IndexScan performance in this case.

Thanks, Heikki!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin,