Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Mike angelo <angelocmp(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server
Date: 2009-04-16 23:36:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 11:10 -0700, Mike angelo wrote:
> In looking at SuSE's download site, I see two available RPMs:
> postgresql and postgresql-server. It may be a novice question, but thn
> I am a Postgres novice. What exactly is the difference?

postgresql RPM:
If you want to manipulate a PostgreSQL database on a local or remote
PostgreSQL server, you need this package. You also need to install this
package if you're installing the postgresql-server package.

postgresql-server:
The postgresql-server package includes the programs needed to create
and run a PostgreSQL server, which will in turn allow you to create
and maintain PostgreSQL databases. You should install postgresql-server
if you want to create and maintain your own PostgreSQL databases and/or
your own PostgreSQL server.

-HTH.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, The PostgreSQL RPM God