Re: New 8.4 hot standby feature

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Gabi Julien <gabi(dot)julien(at)broadsign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New 8.4 hot standby feature
Date: 2009-01-29 07:43:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 12:53 -0500, Gabi Julien wrote:
> I have merged the last hot standby patch (v9g) to 8.4 devel and I am pleased
> with the experience. This is promising stuff.

Thanks,

> Perhaps it is a bit too soon to
> ask questions here but here it is:

Thanks very much for the bug report.

> 1. Speed of recovery
>
> With a archive_timeout of 60 seconds, it can take about 4 minutes before I see
> the reflected changes in the replica. This is normal since, in addition to
> the WAL log shipping, it takes more time to do the recovery itself. Still, is
> there any way besides the archive_timeout config option to speed up the
> recovery of WAL logs on the hot standby?

There was a reported bug whose apparent symptoms were delay of WAL
files. The bug was not in fact anything to do with that at all, it was
just delayed *visibility*. So I doubt very much that you have a
performance problem.

The bug fix patch is attached, verified to solve the problem.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
hs.v9h_dif_v9g.patch text/x-patch 12.6 KB