Re: Hot standby and b-tree killed items

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby and b-tree killed items
Date: 2008-12-19 18:06:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:54 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> > If I was going to add anything to the btree page header, it would be
> > latestRemovedLSN, only set during recovery. That way we don't have
> > explicitly kill queries, we can do the a wait on OldestXmin then let
> > them ERROR out when they find a page that has been modified.
> >
> > I have a suspicion that we may need some modification of that
> solution
> > for all data blocks, so we don't kill too many queries.
>
> If the failure is caused by the timing of various database
> transactions, and the query is likely to run successfully after a
> delay and a retry, please use SQLSTATE of '40001'. Some software
> (ours, for one) will recognize this and retry the query automatically,
> so that the user impact is essentially the same as blocking.

I understand the need, but we won't be using SQLSTATE = 40001.

That corresponds to ERRCODE_T_R_SERIALIZATION_FAILURE, which that error
would not be.

The error message ought to be "snapshot too old", which could raise a
chuckle, so I called it something else.

The point you raise is a good one and I think we should publish a list
of retryable error messages. I contemplated once proposing a special log
level for a retryable error, but not quite a good idea.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com