Re: TODO updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO updates
Date: 2000-07-23 17:18:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Meanwhile a few TODO updates:

> * Creating index of TIMESTAMP & RELTIME fails, or rename to DATETIME(Thomas)

> Looks obsolete to me. (Reltime indexes still don't work, but I doubt
> someone needs them.)

Hm. It looks like the following standard types are not indexable
(or at least don't have default opclass entries) in current sources:

aclitem
bit
bytea
cid
filename
int2vector
line
lseg
money
path
point
regproc
reltime
smgr
tid
tinterval
varbit
xid

There are three more that are indexable but not by btree (we only
have rtree support, which I guess makes sense here):

box
circle
polygon

It surprises me that we don't have index support for reltime and
tinterval (I think only a 3-way comparison proc and a few table entries
are missing). regproc is even closer, it just needs table entries.
bit/varbit are of course just Not There Yet (but I see comparison
functions exist --- just the AM table entries don't.)

Another notable omission is that there should be rtree support for all
the geometric types (what happened to line, lseg, path, point?)

Lack of indexability of these other types doesn't bother me much.

So I guess an up-to-date version of this TODO item should read

* Add btree index support for reltime, tinterval, regproc, bit, varbit
* Add rtree index support for line, lseg, path, point

> * Add hash for int8
>
> Seems to work (Tom Lane?)

Yeah, I fixed that a month ago.

> See y'all in beta... :-)