Re: BUG #16026: default_tablespace in postgresql.conf is used instead of the database's default.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: virgile(dot)crevon(at)dassault-aviation(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16026: default_tablespace in postgresql.conf is used instead of the database's default.
Date: 2019-09-26 15:01:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-www

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> 1- create a tablespace data (whereever you want it to be). Note that data
> is lowercase without quotation marks.
> 2- set default_tablespace='DATA' in postgresql.conf. Note this is un
> UPPERCASE.
> 3- reload conf.
> 4- create a database with default tablespace data (lowercase).
> 5- create a query that is using parallel (gather step) to seq scan.

This is the same issue discussed in

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/15726-6d67e4fa14f027b3%40postgresql.org

I'm not sure why progress on that thread has come to a dead halt,
but in any case, the general opinion seems to be that all we're
going to do about it is improve the error reporting. Wrong values
in postgresql.conf aren't a well-supported or encouraged situation,
even if it seems to mostly work for default_tablespace.

BTW, it occurred to me to wonder if we could make the situation
better by running RestoreGUCState() *outside* a transaction,
but that just moves the problems around:

+ERROR: invalid value for parameter "session_authorization": "postgres"
+CONTEXT: parallel worker