Re: PSA: Autoconf has risen from the dead

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSA: Autoconf has risen from the dead
Date: 2022-07-03 14:50:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, I also don't know how annoying it's going to be to get the new
> ninja/meson stuff working on macOS ... I really hope someone puts a
> good set of directions on the wiki or in the documentation or
> someplace.

If you use MacPorts it's just "install those packages", and I imagine
the same for Homebrew. I've not tried build-from-source on modern
platforms.

One thing I think we lack data on is whether we're going to need a
policy similar to everyone-must-use-exactly-this-autoconf-version.
If we do, that will greatly raise the importance of building from
source.